This idly podi is made with urad dal, channa dal, garlic and red chillies. This is less spicy. This powder goes well with idly as well as dosa. Here I used rock salt. You can use any salt of your choice. The garlic gives nice flavour to the podi. Usually my mother makes the podi with sesame seeds. That is tasty as well. I will try to post that too. This is everyone’s favourite at home. Try this out.
Urad dal/Ulundhu - 1/2 cup Channa dal/Kadalai paruppu - 1/4 cup Red chillies - 10 Garlic - 2 Curry leaves - 2 sprig Rock salt - as needed Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp Sesame oil - 1 tsp
1. In a pan, add a tsp of oil. Then add the red chillies. Roast it. Take care not to burn it. Remove and in the same pan add the garlic. Roast it.
2. Add the channa dal and roast it for 2-3 minutes. Then add the urad dal and roast till it turns red. Don’t roast it too much as it might turn black.
3. Add the curry leaves and salt. Once it cools down add the red chillies first and grind it. Then add the dal with asafoetida and grind it into coarse powder.
Now your Idly podi is ready to serve with idli or dosa. Serve with sesame oil.
- Add red chillies according to your spice level.
- Also add garlic according to your garlic. Mine is too strong and big. So limited with two.
- You can omit garlic. Still the podi tastes good.
- Transfer the dal when it is mild red. It tends to become more red once it cools down.
- If you like it fine then grind it to fine powder. We prefer it coarse.