This is ladies finger/okra/vendaikkai kara kulambu. You can replace ladies finger with brinjal/egg plant or bitter melon. This is my way of making kara kulambu. You can also use sambar powder or kulambu powder available in stores. I also used big onions which can be replaced with small onions which makes the gravy more tasty. I always want to make kulambu with pepper and jeera for this cold weather. Lets move on to the recipe.
Cooking time : 20-25 minutes
Ladies finger/Okra/Vendaikkai - 6 Onion - 1 Tomato - 1 Curry leaves - 1 sprig Tamarind - 1 lemon size To roast and grind Coriander seeds - 1 Tbsp Pepper - 1 tsp Jeera - 3/4 tsp Fennel seeds - 1 tsp Red chillies - 4-5 (depending on the spice level) Dessicated coconut - 2 Tbsp Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp Salt - as needed For seasoning Sesame oil - 3 Tbsp Mustard - 1/2 tsp Methi seeds/vendayam - 1/4 tsp
1. Soak tamarind in hot water. Chop the tomatoes. Slice onions. Chop ladies finger to 1 inch pieces.
2. In a pan add 1 tsp of oil and add red chillies, coriander seeds, pepper, jeera and fennel seeds. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
3. Switch off the flame and add coconut and methi seeds. I used dessicated coconut. You can also use fresh coconut.
4. Transfer everything and let it cool. Again in the pan, add a tsp of oil and add chopped tomatoes and saute till mushy.
5. Grind everything together after it cools down. Now in a kadai add 1 Tbsp of sesame oil. Add the ladies finger and saute it for 5 minutes. Set it aside. Then add the remaining oil and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add methi seeds.
6. Then add sliced onions, curry leaves and saute till the colour of onion changes. Then add tamarind extract.
7. Then add ladies finger, turmeric powder, salt and ground paste. Let it boil for good 10 minutes or until the oil seperates.
Kara kulambu is ready to serve with hot rice. It tastes best the next day.
- You can replace ladies finger with brinjals.
- Also big onions with small onions.