Paneer Biriyani is suitable for get-together and feast. It involves some hard work but worth it. I always make Paneer Pulao which is very easy to make or else Vegetable Dum Biriyani. I always wanted to make this. Actually after many trials I normally post a recipe. But this came out really tasty and good. So before I forget I wanted to share and it will be for my future reference too. So you can confidently try this.
Preparation time : 30 min
Cooking time : 45 min
Serves : 4
Basmathi rice : 1 cup Paneer : 10-15 cubes Onion : 2 Tomato : 1 Ginger garlic paste : 1 tsp Curd : 2 Tbsp Red chilli powder : 1/2 + 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder : 1/4 + 1/4 tsp Coriander powder : 1 +1 tsp Garam masala powder : 1/2 + 1/2 tsp Jeera powder : 1/2 tsp Coriander leaves : Handful Mint leaves : Handful Oil : 2 Tbsp Ghee : 2 Tbsp Cinnamon : 1 Cloves : 2 Elaichi : 1 Star Anise : 1 Biriyani leaves : 1 Whole black pepper : 1 tsp Kasoori methi : 1 tsp Cashews : 8-10 Salt : as needed Sugar : 1/2 tsp
1. First Soak basmathi rice in water for 15 minutes. Cube paneer and add curd, 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder, 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, 1 tsp of coriander powder, sugar, salt, kasoori methi, half of coriander leaves, half mint leaves and mix everything together without breaking the paneer. Rest it for 30 minutes.
2. Boil 4 cups of water with little ghee and salt. Add soaked rice to the boiling water. Cook until 3/4 of rice is cooked. I added 2 mint leaves to the water which gives extra flavour. Drain the rice in a colander and keep it aside.
3. Now in a kadai add a tbsp of oil and fry one sliced onion until brown. (You can fry till it becomes crisp. I was little scared to do that)
4. Now add oil and ghee in a kadai or cooker. Add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, star anise, biriyani leaf and pepper. Then add finely chopped onion and fry for a minute.
5. Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell leaves. Add tomatoes and saute till it becomes mushy.
6. You can add all masala powders at this stage with salt and mint, coriander leaves. Saute till the oil seperates.
7. Now you can transfer the mixture to a cooker if you did it in a kadai. Add half cup of water. Then add half of the rice and fried onions to it.
8. The next layer is marinated paneer. Then again top it with rice. Garnish with fried cashews.
9. Close the lid and keep the flame/stove to its minimum and cook for 20-25 minutes. If you are not cooking in a cooker, make sure to keep a weight on the lid, so the steam will be retained. Give a standing time of 5 minutes and slowly fluff the biryani with a fork taking care not to break the rice or paneer.
Now tasty Paneer Biriyani is ready. Serve with any raita of your choice. Actually it tasted better without any raitha.
Try this restaurant style paneer biriyani.
- You can also add saffron milk to the rice with cashews. It gives nice flavour to the dish.
- Actually you can deep fry the onion till crispy and add it.
- Sometimes I don’t use tomatoes in layered biriyani. Still it tastes good.
- Marinating the paneer is important step. The more you marinate the tastier the paneer cubes will be.
- You can also cook the rice with 1 and half cups of water in cooker and use it. But I felt this method gives nice and non sticky biriyani.
- Don’t miss adding 1/2 cup water with the gravy. This prevents browning of rice.
- Don’t add paneer with the gravy. It might get stuck in the bottom.